Operational/Strategic Planning

It is interesting to consider how important strategic planning actually is.  The old way of strategic planning was commonly a 5 year plan.  The new way is a plan for 6, 12, 18, or 24 months down the road.  I learned that strategic planning is envisioning where you want your organization to be in the next 6, 12,18, or 24 months and then making plans how to reach that ultimate goal.  

I liked hearing everyone’s thought process as to how they would strategically place clinics, hospitals, etc in order to grow their business.  It helped me realize how important it would be to have a team involved in strategic planning.  Gathering everyone’s ideas and being able to discuss the best ones to reach the ultimate goal is very efficient.

A portion of the lecture discussed a nurse leader’s role in strategic planning which is to focus on their unit and do all they can to steer their unit in the direction of the ultimate goals.  I felt this was most applicable to me right now.  I want to be able to be involved and aware of what my workplace’s ultimate goals are and what the plans are to get there.  This will help me be able to do my part in steering us to reach our goals!

This unit was helpful in realizing the importance of always striving to improve an organization.  Without a vision, where is there to go?  Without a vision, how can we strategically make plans in the right direction?